The graduates of AllWomen’s UX/UI Design bootcamp were invited to join a design challenge – an opportunity to redesign a real website, a step up from our hypothetical final projects. We would be working with GammaUX, an agency that focuses on UX design and digital products. Part of the challenge would be to get to know the company, what they do, and what problems they have with their website.

We were divided into three teams, each assigned a mentor from GammaUX. Our plan of action was to be planned during weekly meetings via video call and chatting over Slack. We’d be using online collaborative tools to lay out our ideas and organize our strategy. A few of us knew each other from the boot camp, but we all started to get to know each other a little more from the weekly meetings. 

🔎 Discovery

We kicked off the project with the Discovery phase. Initially, it was awkward to work as a team of essentially strangers and we were still quite unsure of ourselves. 😳 Luckily, our mentor helped us out with a guide, pointing us in the direction of trying to understand the voice of the business, the market, and the user. From that point, we understood that to get more knowledge on GammaUX, we’d have to interview internal stakeholders to get the insights needed to start.🎙


🖊Definition

After we conducted the interviews, we had a wealth of information about the company, which we put in an affinity diagram, so that we could understand pain points and see potential opportunities. Our problem statement essentially said that GammaUX’s website needs to be easier to navigate so that talent and clients can find the information most useful for them, which would lead to future work together. 

From there, we thought up user archetypes, so that we’d have an anchor to refer back to as we made decisions for the website. We then came up with How Might We statements, such as “How might we use design and calls to action to guide the users down the correct channels?” It was important to us to nip the problem in the bud, and have a landing page that steered a jobseeker down the talent route, and a talent recruiter down the client route. 

Those we interviewed also filled us in on who might be considered a competitor, which helped with making a competitor analysis to see how other agencies used CTAs and visually synthesized useful information. 

Bit by bit, we started to understand each other’s unique skills and the roles we each would take in the group effort. Some of us naturally fell into a more leadership role, suggesting tasks needed to be done while others gladly took on delegated tasks. 🙋‍♀️

💡 Ideation 

One of the next parts was laying out the original sitemap as a reference, and then building a new one that was based on our new problem statement. With this new information architecture, we did some rounds of crazy-8s and sketched out low-fidelity wireframes. It was satisfying to see the bones of our ideas laid out, and we were eagerly visualizing how we could impose the next phases of color, imagery, and typography

Before we could take our wireframes to high-fidelity, we had to organize some user testing interviews to make sure any pain point was remedied before we filled in the site with visual elements.

⚙️Prototyping & Testing

At this point, we further established our roles as prototype designers and feedback-givers, which helped to maintain consistency with the designs and keep a flow of commentary going on Figma. Our mentor diligently went through our different screens and interactions, and left us useful critiques and helped us reconsider the placement or even the necessity of some of the content on the site.

Generally, we stayed close to the given brand colors🟠⚫️⚪️ and the main typography, but tried to brighten up the look by redistributing the dark and light colors. We aimed to keep the feel minimal, and professional, but also playful. We tested it as much as we could, but with the deadline approaching, it was getting hard to find people last minute.😵‍💫

🏁The End of the Challenge

With the deadline approaching, we whipped together a presentation to give to a panel of jurors. Only one group would win and their designs would be chosen as the new look of GammaUX. On presentation day, we all joined in on a video call to see each team talk about their process and demonstrate our prototypes. It was so fascinating to see how each team took the same brand material and did something totally different with it, like GammaUX sites from alternate universes. 🤩

🥈Runner-Up 🥲

Ultimately, one of the other groups was deemed the winner of the challenge, but our team got an honorable mention for having the most feasible designs to implement and sticking closest to the branding requirements. We will be collaborating with the winners to meld our designs for the final website. 🥳

Our mentor seriously congratulated us on their final feedback and reassured us that their comments held a lot of weight. To be able to edit your designs to meet requirements and to design within feasibility is one of the big challenges of UX design. ☺️

I learned so much from this experience of working with others and under the guidance of a mentor. Having only worked on a hypothetical final project alone, I started to understand what hurdles you’re faced with when dealing with real-life clients and teammates. But alongside the challenges are the ideas that blossom in collaboration with others.

This experience was a great in-between project to get a taste of what it could be like to work for a real client and I look forward to showcasing it in my portfolio. I’m grateful to AllWomen and GammaUX for organizing it and can’t wait to see what type of designs will come from the final collaboration. 🥰

Kelsey Bailey

Graduate of the UX/UI Design Bootcamp